Monitors are the only thing that let you see what’s going on inside the computer. And that itself puts it at a higher position than any other part of the computer.
Commonly known as an output device, it lets you know if the computer is carrying out functions. And you will need to know the specifications like color accuracy, panel type, resolution, etc. before you buy one. (Check our article on Best monitors for Color Accuracy to know more)
You should buy a monitor of optimum quality which suits your needs. You can check our article on how to choose the best monitor for more details on this.
For a long time, people have engaged in battles regarding which type of computer is the best. And those battles have usually been around the benefits of LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) against CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) monitors. But this battle is old now. And we have already established the fact that LCD is always superior.
Nowadays, the comparison of popular concern is between curved and flat monitors. So the curved screen monitors are relatively newer than the flat screen monitors. Both have features which you may like. And obviously, you will choose the one according to your needs. But to make things easier for you, we bring this article, Curved vs Flat monitor to you.
Curved vs Flat monitor
- 1 Curved vs Flat monitor
- 2 FAQs
- 3 Conclusion
Further, we have listed some points of comparison between these two types of monitors. And we will consequently list out features for both of them.
The curved monitors are, as the name suggests, those that have curved screens. Both the sides of the screen are slightly curved towards inside.
Here are some the advantages you get when you buy a curved monitor:
- All brands which manufacture curved monitors claim to give its users an immersive viewing experience. Because of the shape of its screen, the images are more lifelike. And you get the feel of almost an actual life experience.
Basically, we get this feeling because these curved monitors cover our peripheral vision too. And fulfil the need of the three dimensions, length, width and height for a more realistic experience.
- Another very major advantage of using a curved monitor is that they reduce image distortion. As these monitors project light from all sides, all aiming at the viewer. Because of its curved shape, they automatically aim at the viewer. And we get a clear picture from every corner of the screen.
- So like we said, the curved monitors project light from all sides. Hence there is not one specific point in the eye to which it directs all its light. And this results in all the parts of the eyes getting an equal amount of view. So these monitors basically provide great comfort to the eye.
- If you are a gamer or a professional, the curved monitors will be a great option for you. Because as we have mentioned they reduce screen distortion. And also because they feel larger because of their shape. So you get a wider field of view.
- Apart from all the other benefits, we also see that these monitors are classy to look at. And it will add to the aesthetic environment of your home.
Like all the things in the world, curved monitors have a few disadvantages too:
- These curved monitors are great when you are a single viewer. But it poses a problem when you have a family or have friends over. Because these monitors provide the best view at a certain angle. So when there are many people, achieving the best angle for everyone is not possible.
- Another problem the curved monitors face is the glare. Because of its curvature, these monitors can give out glare when viewed from certain angles.
The flat monitors are simple straight screen monitors.
These are some advantages of a flat monitor:
- The flat monitors are perfect for you if you have a big daily or frequently have friends over. As these monitors provide you with the same viewing experience from all sides because they are straight. So that no one feels left out.
- Also, these flat monitors have an ergonomic advantage too. Because of its flat screen, we directly look at the monitor. And will not have to move our necks or eyes frequently.
- Another advantage of a flat monitor is that it is pretty flexible. So you can move it around at your expense. And also it is quite easy to mount on a wall. After the mounting too, it perfectly aligns with the wall, giving it a visual appeal.
- As the flat monitors give you the same light projection from all angles, there is no chance of glare.
- The flat monitors are also cheaper than the other options in the monitors.
Flat screens also have some disadvantages:
- As the flat screens are straight, the image display is straightforward. Hence the viewing experience is not immersive and realistic like that of the curved.
- Studies have claimed that flat screens compared to curved are more prone to image distortion. And most often the edges are blurry.
What to choose, curved or flat monitors?
Well, the answer to this question is subjective. And it completely depends on people.
For some people curved screens might be pointless. Because they look more towards the functionality of the things. And flat screens provide them with basic functions of a monitor at a lesser price. So why would they go for the costlier curved ones?
Whereas people who seek optimum viewing experience will definitely want to invest in curved monitors. And why not with all the features of immersive viewing, less distortion and eye comfort?
Hence, you must be clear about your requirements before you go buy a monitor.
Q – Is it worth spending on a curved monitor?
A – Whether you spend on a curved monitor is entirely subjective to your choices. If an immersive viewing experience, less image distortion and eye comfort are your priorities you must go for it. But if functionality comes to your mind, the expenditure might not be worth it for you.
Q – Are curved monitors better for eyes?
A – Yes, when you stare at the monitor for a long time, curved monitors will be a better option for you. As these monitors project light from all sides and not specifically put pressure on a certain part of the eye. So this equal distribution comforts your eyes.
Q – Can you put multiple curved monitors together?
A – Yes, you can put multiple curved screens together. For example, say you have two curved monitors. And you can place these two side by side in a line. This facilitates you seeing a lot of areas with better picture quality.
Q – What is better, a curved or a flat monitor?
A – Well, this choice is, as we have always said, subjective. And it all depends on what you want in your monitor. For more information on this question, go through the article above.
Q – Is a curved monitor good for gaming?
A – A curved monitor is a great option for gaming. First, it provides you with a very realistic immersive experience. And also there is little distortion. With a wider field of view, you also have the option of combining monitors together. So buying a curved monitor will be a win-win situation for you.
Read More: Best Monitors for Color Accuracy
So we hope that our article on the curved monitors vs flat monitors has helped in reaching a solution. Despite all the differences, the resolution and picture quality of both of them are more or less same.