We think the most important thing, whether you are using a computer or a television, is the screen. And a TV and a monitor are both screens which helps in displaying whatever function you tell the machine to do.
Although both these are display screens, they have distinct features. While televisions are specifically electronic devices which stream video content. And monitors are hardware devices of the computer. So it reveals videos or illustrations which are generated by the computer.
Many of us must have wondered sometime or the other which one of this is better. Well, we can say that you most definitely which is why you are here. Hence, in this article we aim to bring you our take on TV vs Monitor. So if you want to know about it, keep on reading.
TV vs Monitor
Further in this article we will let you know about the different features of each of them, TV and Monitor.
Television or TV, like we have already mentioned, is an electronic device. So these devices work through signals. When broadcasting signals are emitted from various sources, they reach the TV. And then these signals are converted into audio visuals by the TV.
The giving and receiving system can be through cable TVs, broadcasting systems or satellite-dish systems.
So basically the television is a monitor with an antenna, frequency tuner and speakers. The TVs always come with a remote to adjust volume, change channels, etc.
In the old days, the use of Cathode Ray Tube (CRT) monitors was common. So these were also used for TVs. But recently, there has been a rise in the newer Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) monitors. Along with that have emerged newer models like LED, OLED, etc. So the TV industry has also shifted to this resulting in fresher models.
Features of TV
Here are some features of the television described:
- First, we must look at the size aspect of the television. So a television comes in different sizes. If you are someone who wants a large TV with movie theatre like experience, go for the bigger sizes. As these give you a wider angle view with excellent picture quality. And is also perfect for a big family.
But if you live by yourself in a small house, there are also smaller and cheaper options for you.
- Usually the televisions possess a lower resolution when compared to the monitors. And this happens because of the gigantic size of the TVs. Usually a good 4K resolution TV comes in the size of 42” or more. Hence, you are bound to experience the decrease in resolution.
- Then there is the case of the refresh rates. Mostly TVs have a lower refresh rate, i.e., the number of times an image refreshes in a second. A basic flat screen TV can go up to 120Hz maximum.
- Because the chief aim of the television is to provide us with video content, it has great picture quality.
- Televisions also have great viewing angles. As the very aim of it is to provide us video to watch, this trait is a must. Usually TVs have viewing angles of 160 degrees to provide an excellent view.
- Also TVs have a significant feature of connectivity. Better models of TV come with HDMI, USB and VGA ports, coaxial cables and ports for antennas.
Next, we must discuss the monitors. Monitors, like we said, are hardware devices of the computer. And these help us in showing illustrations and videos from the video card of the computer. These monitors work along with other devices of the computer to show us the desired result. Also, one of the principal aims of the monitors is to give color accurate clear pictures.
(Check our article on the Best Monitors for Color Accuracy to know the best monitor options.)
Features of Monitor
These are some features of the monitor:
- First, we know that the monitor usually comes in a not very large size. And buy one which fits your desk. Also, you need to use other computer devices simultaneously while you use a monitor. So you do not really work at a long distance. And this makes smaller monitors suitable. If you are a gamer though, you might opt for bigger ones because of more realistic and immersive experience.
- The resolution of a monitor is pretty good. And there are a lot of options for you to choose from this section. Say you want a 4K resolution monitor, you have this option at even 27 inches. So just imagine the amazing picture quality you will have.
- Then we must discuss the refresh rates of the monitor. Usually the monitors have great refresh rates. For example, you are a gamer. And you will need a monitor with a good refresh rate for a smooth gaming experience. A good monitor can go up to 250Hz.
- Monitors also come with great image quality. As they have higher resolution, we get to experience it. Also, the curved designs of the monitors nowadays have improved them more. As slight image distortions we faced with the flat screens are now no more an issue.
- Connectivity is also good in the monitors. And when they don’t have many ports, we can use adaptors and bridges.
- Nowadays, many monitors come with the added feature of touch screens. So you do not need a mouse or a touchpad to use. And you can directly touch the screen to perform required functions.
Which is better, TV or Monitor ?
We have now explored the different features of both of them. And here is a short comparison between the two under some parameters:
- Price – Before we buy anything, we always decide on a budget. And here too we shall consider this. So bigger TVs no doubt cost a lot but you can also get a good TV under a tight budget. Whereas good monitors will cost you much more than a TV.
- Size – When you compare both of them regarding their sizes, you see TVs are bigger. With the amount you pay for a 27 inch 4K monitor, you can buy a 50 inch TV. So yes, TVs take the lead here.
- Resolution – Monitors provide you with a much higher resolution when compared to TVs. So if resolution is a deciding factor for you, you must prefer the monitors.
- Refresh rates (Image lagging) – Like already mentioned, monitors have greater refresh rates than a TV. and this results in lesser image lagging in monitors.
Q – Can I use a TV as a monitor?
A – Nowadays it is very much possible to use your TV as a monitor. The newer Smart TVs have features which can wirelessly let you use it as a monitor. But the older TVs can also be turned to monitors. Although you might need VGA and HDMI adapters. You should follow specific instructions for this.
Q – Is there a disadvantage to using Tv as a monitor?
A – Yes, there can be disadvantages to using a TV as a monitor. One of them being the decreased image quality. And also as the input lag is higher in the TVs, you will get slower.
Q – Are expensive monitors worth it?
A – The answer to this game is subjective. For example, if you are a gamer, cheaper TN panels will work great for you. But when you are a professional and are into editing, designing, etc., an expensive IPS panel will be the best.
Q – Should I go for a TV or a monitor for my PS5?
A – A PS5 unlike other gaming consoles has very definite requirements. It needs greater resolution like 1080p, high refresh rates and low input lag (response time). So if you use it with a Tv, you cannot have a very smooth gaming experience. As monitors have low response times and high refresh rates, they are great to play in.
Q – Is it better to play Xbox on TV or monitor?
A – So the monitors come equipped with higher refresh rates and also low response times. Good monitors can go up to 165Hz and more with a response time as low as 1 ms. On the other hand, TVs have low refresh rates and more response time. So in order to have a smooth gaming experience, go for monitors.
Read More: Best Monitors for Color Accuracy
We have finally reached the end of the discussion. And we hope this article helps you out in choosing your favourite. Both the TV and monitors have qualities particular to its own. So you must choose what suits your needs.